Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

10/22 Bolt Handles: LR vs Mag vs PC

43K views 67 replies 45 participants last post by  crackedcornish 
#1 · (Edited)
Bolt handles compared: LR vs Mag vs PC

I never liked the little bitty bolt handle on the .22LR 10/22s. On my first 10/22, I installed the Power Custom bolt handle assembly. It's a great piece but a bit expensive and sometimes on the long side. I read about adapting the larger 10/22 Magnum bolt handle to the LR rifle on these forums and decided to give it a try on my new 10/22. Here are some pics comparing the three (click for larger):

Left to right: LR, Mag, PC

A better comparitive view

Standard LR handle, installed

Mag handle installed

Power Custom handle installed

You can see how the Mag handle is both taller and wider than the LR handle. The PC handle is the same height as the LR handle but much wider than either of the two factory parts.

I haven't shot the rifle with the Mag handle installed yet, but I think it'll work out well. Larger than stock, but not TOO large. The PC handle usually lives in my target gun, with its B&C Anschutz stock and 32x scope. It fits in well on that gun.

For those who want to adapt the Mag handle to the LR, here's a condensed version:

Get the Magnum bolt handle assembly from Brownells - their part number 780-001-178. It's about $12. The Mag guide rod is longer than the LR rod, so you'll need to get the handle off the guide rod. I gently clamped a pair of Vice-Grips to the guide rod to hold the handle back, then used my Dremel to grind down the "ears" on the guide rod so the handle could slip off. I did this to both the Mag and the LR assemblies and then just swapped the handles around.

Note that the PC handle assembly doesn't have anything retaining the handle on the guide rod. There is a hole cross-drilled in the rod so you can insert something to keep the handle on. I used a paper clip. Also note that the first two pics were taken before I modified the guide rods - now there's nothing to hold the handle on the rods. It isn't a problem during assembly/disassembly though.

Anyway, I hope this helps anyone who's looking for a better-than-stock bolt handle but doesn't want to shell out for the PC parts.

Matt

See less See more
#6 ·
Thanks Antlurz and BigMike for the kind words.

Sisco, I did not peen the rod after reinstalling the handle. The Power Custom assembly works fine set up this way, so I didn't feel it was necessary. I don't think the handle moves all the way to the end of the rod during operation anyway - the peened end is just there to make assembly/disassembly easier since the handle, rod, and spring stay together.

#7 ·
bolt handle

Hello mattman. I am interested in your bolt handle change on your 10/22. I have a Ruger 10/22 that I have put into a Fagen target stock and put a Adams & Bennett heavy barrel with a compensator in the action. Like you I don't like the small bolt on the gun,it's just to small for me. Would the change you made on your gun work on the target model I have. I have also been thinking of changeing the hold open stop on this gun also I need something bigger there also . can you offer any suggestions Thanks Chipmunk.

#10 ·
I've done this mod for two rigs. I did find an interference issue with the mag handle in my Choate Dragunov stock, but a little filing on the bottom, inside, of the handle solved it. I definitely reccommend this mod for the Muzzlelite Bullpup stock.
I also have one of the PC units, but it is more of a specialty item.

#12 · (Edited)
RICOCHET,

HawkTech Arms has them for $48.95. I didn't like the small factory handle on the LR either, but I wouldn't spend 50 bucks on the PC handle. I went with a 10/22 mag handle from Brownells for only $12.95 and I love it. It's the perfect size.

This is a awesome post by Matt-man. :t :t

Trent

#13 · (Edited)
emtnabinger said:
RICOCHET,

HawkTech Arms has them for $48.95. I didn't like the small factory handle on the LR either, but I wouldn't spend 50 bucks on the PC handle. I went with a 10/22 mag handle from Brownells for only $12.95 and I love it. It's the perfect size.

This is a awesome post by Matt-man. :t :t

Trent
emtnabinger, i agree with you. luv this site.

thanks for the link, but you're right. can use that money for other things. will probably do what matt did. awesome pics. btw, do these guys use digi cameras for the pics? great detail, but could get a .22 mag for the price. lol. btw, are those handles made of steel ? might try to tig weld a piece on the original. just an option i have in mind. thanks again

#14 ·
RICOCHET said:
btw, are those handles made of steel ? might try to tig weld a piece on the original.
I pulled out my old LR handle, and a magnet sticks to it so I'm guessing it is steel. It also appears to be cast - not sure how that'll affect trying to weld on it.

I used a Canon digital camera to take these shots.

#16 ·
I have two rifles with the PC "long" handle. Great function, easy to grab and rack.

MY one complaint, watch them closely takin guns in and out of the safe!!! Have not dinged anything yet with the big PC handles, but it could be easy if not paying close attention.

#22 · (Edited)
no need to weld

When you clamp the handle with the spring and ball behind it, use a pair of vise grips. Then lay the assembly across the anvil section of a vise with the slot where the peen was on the anvil, and simply take a punch and place it across the slot and strike it with a hammer and the peen is replaced. You dont have to grind off a lot of material to get the handle to slide off to begin with. Just grind the peen off enough to get it to slide off and you won't have any problems.
I have been told that there is someone working on a heavier bolt handle to make the slide heavy enough to handle the 17mach2. They are running tests right now and they havent had a failure so far. If you are wanting to be able to make your 10/22 into the 17mach2, I might just wait until this product hits the market which should be soon if everything continues the way it has been. Should solve both problems at the same time. I will keep everyone up to date.

#25 ·
Not sure

Wolf said:
Isn't that what is being offered in the barrel/bolt handle deal that eabco is now advertising?
My info came from the Inner Circle deal from AGI. They didn't mention the name that I can remember. They have the barrels and the handles and have told us they are testing them and will be letting us know how they do. So far they haven't had any problems with them. I know that we were all let down when we found out the original bolt won't work with them. This so far seems to be an answer to the light bolt problem. They definitely will give reliable test results when they are finished. I have been on the list for the barrels since they were first announced. I will let everyone know what they come up with for sure.

#26 ·
Bolt Reasembly (with loose spring and guide rod)

I scanned through the Tips and Tricks section. I did not notice a thread on this item.

I have a semi-stock 10/22 with a 22 Magnum bolt handle.

HOW DO YOU hold the Guide Rod and Spring (with no spring retainer)
in place - while you re-insert the bolt???

What's the trick??? :confused:

Thanks ahead of time for your pointers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.