Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

POLL: DO YOU OWN AN M1 Garand?

23K views 115 replies 95 participants last post by  Tarasdad 
#1 · (Edited)
How many of us own and shoot the venerable M1 Garand?

See less See more
#6 ·
I have one of the ones that Springfield offered in 1999 with a new receiver and stock with a mix of new and surplus parts. I thought that if I got a wartime rifle that I'd newer shoot it... then again, I hardly shoot this one... :eek: but I like having one in my collection. :)

#7 ·
I've had seven of them go through my hands at one time or another. The best one was a Navy Model in 7.62 NATO caliber. I had Don McCoy modify this rifle into a Match Rifle. One time in the prone position That rifle shot into 1 1/2 inches at 200 yards.

Another time when I had an M1 with a Winchester receiver that I had just sighted in a guy walked by and told me those rifles don't shoot worth a darn! I was at the range and knew the distance from the table to the top of a bolder a ground squirrel was standing on. I said yes they do, see that squirrel? It's standing on that rock at 125 yards. Watch this.

The squirrel was so small I had to center him on my front sight. I knew I hit the squirrel by the sound a bullet makes when it connects to tissues.

The guy just walked away shaking his head. I went out to retrieve the squirrel but there was only a piece of skin hanging from a sage brush behind the rock.

I still have one which I am saving in case the economy collapses.

Them M1 Garands do shoot!

POWDER MONKEY

#26 ·
Oops, the Remington Rand is my 1911, the Garand is 1943 (Dec.) Springfield Armory with a Winchester trigger group. I sure wish the rest of it was Winchester.

Small brain freeze, I heard a rumor that they made bazillions of 1911s too.
It wasn't uncommon for them to change parts from one manufacturer to another.
As far as I know the only 4 manufacturers were:
Springfield Armory
Winchester
International Harvester
Harrington and Richardson

The Winchester seems to have the least quality control of all of them. That is surprising for a firearms company.

#27 ·
Do you own an M1 Garand?

I have two, one a SA, with Kreiger barrel, set in Wenig, Bastogne Walnut, and
a Winchester, with new barrel, with Wenig, maple wood. Wenig wood is best I
have seen for a Garand. Fits like it is glassed. I shot expert with the M1 in army
and love the low recoil as I am 73 now. I reload with 150 to 165 gr bullets, which is easy on the shoulder.
These M1's are correct date and original parts.

#31 ·
I have had 45 different Garands pass through my hands to arrive at my current collection of 28. Like Orlando, I have traded, sold, & bought better rifles as they crossed my path. I have made 6 trips to the CMP South/North Stores when special releases have been announced. My IHCs have been my go to JCG Memorial Match guns, and have now built a Criterion barreled Garand for Matches at Ft. Knox (If they start having them again that is). Started buying them when they were $165 from the old DCM (only one per lifetime back then) and lucked into an estate sale (one of each Mfg) about 15 yrs ago that really kicked off my collection. If you don't have one yet, Why Not?!?
Still looking for a Beretta or Breda.
Got-R-Did.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.