Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

WV check in !

7K views 29 replies 20 participants last post by  JG26_Irish 
#1 ·
cmon mountaineers chk in

#4 ·
:)Although I live two miles past the state line in Va, All of the paternal surnames in my family have lived there since the early 1700's. I still own a little of the family lands there. Many memories of hunting with my paternal grandfather in the mountains of WVA. Yes, I am a hillbilly too. They are the most independent and self sufficient people on the face of the earth. Some like me are crazy like a fox! West Virginians make the best friends you will ever have!

#5 ·
i'm about 1/4 mile from the mason dixon line, i'm on the south side of it.
thankfully. i do shoot in pennsylvania though. i'm about 8 miles north of
morgantown. this ought to be an interesting weekend with oklahoma
coming to town to play football. i hope they play better than they have
been. my mothers from a patch just up the hill. seems like i'm related to
most everyone within five miles or so.

#12 ·
Live just across the river from Wheeling in Ohio. Have a pretty nice range here with lots of steel plate racks out to 190 yards.

Not sure if everyone is scared of bridges or can't swim but can't seem to lure anyone from WV to come over to play.

Managed to rescue wife from Wheeling so I know it can be done and see lots of people looking and buying rimfire at Cabelas so where do they all shoot?

Topstrap

#14 ·
Hi, be glad to have you join us next year. There are three of us that can have long-range rimfire matches near St. Clairsville. Butch runs his the first weekend, I try to have one on the third weekend but might switch off with Dale so he can run a couple 25 to 300 yard matches.

None of us have a website and I'm not much for Facebook but do usually post on here about our matches. We also enjoy just having other rimfire shooters joining in for a fun day of ringing distant ( for a rimfire) steel.

Topstrap

#18 ·
Live in PA now, but graduated from West Virginia Wesleyan College in Buckhannon (as we referred to it -- "centrally located in the middle of nowhere" :)) too many years ago to say. Beautiful state and I had some of the best squirrel and rabbit hunting and trout fishing ever in West By God Virginia. Still have friends there (in Fairmont). I kept a shotgun and .22 in my dorm room with no issues -- try that today! :eek:

Doug

#24 ·
Wow, small world. Newton, Elkview... Spencer, here!

We have a range here, Roane County Gun Club, here in Spencer, just out of town. Nice little range with targets at 25 yards, 100ft, 50 yards, 100 yards, and room to set stuff out to 160 yards. They also have Skeet shooting for shotguns, plenty of different .22 competitions, etc. Cheap, too. Only costs $35/yr, and you get a key to the place, so you can go anytime you want. No Fees. They also have a club house and steel benches with around 8? stations. In the winter, they have 100ft benchrest .22 matches where you shoot from inside at a target that can be reeled in. They are 'gambler' type events, where you shoot a card.

They could use some more people. It's extremely old school, and they are not on any kind of social media. Club has been there since the 1960's.

#26 ·
If anyone wants more info, let me know. For $35/year, it's a downright steal of a bargain. It's rarely very crowded, and you get a key to the place, and can go anytime you want. People go by the honor system. Lots of events going on. Could use more active participants.

#28 · (Edited)
Where is the club house located? Also do you know TK Smith?
It's located about a mile out Tucker's Run.
From Spencer, head towards Ripley, go about 3 miles and turn right at the top of the hill onto Tucker's Run. It will about a mile on the left. There's a green padlocked gate. If you become a member, you get a key that fits the lock there and the one on the club house.

I don't know very many people by name, and am not all that involve with the club activities. I just drive 10 minutes out there when I want to do some shooting. It's rarely ever crowded at all. Usually, I'm the only one out there if it's a non-event day, or maybe one other person. The name sounds familiar, but I don't know him personally. May know him if I saw him.

If you're interested in becoming a member, head out there during an event... or better yet, during a club/steering committee meeting, and introduce yourself! Pretty nice bunch of guys.

#29 ·
This year's schedule for the Roane County Gun Club. If you're interested in joining, it's only $35/yr, and you get a key to the place. I think I described that in an above post. It's not necessarily a 'Yee-Haw' place. There are no holes in the ceiling, and they like to keep it that way. It's well taken care of, and they expect all members to take good care of it as well.

If you're interested in becoming a member, come to one of the club meetings... or if that's hard to do, show up at one of the shoots and ask about becoming a member. Great bunch of people!

It's about a mile out Tuckers Run on the left. There's a green gate. If nobody is there, it will have a chain and a lock on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.